The Black American Experience as told by Claudia Rankine

Citizen by Claudia Rankine is a lyric that illustrates the “Black-American” experience through her lens. Through her use of poetry and imagery, Claudia Rankine allows the reader to receive perspective on the daily experiences of a Black person in America. The author uses two approaches in her narrative: poetry and storytelling. Both methods highlight approaches in suggested in Critical Race Theory. In addition to this approach, the author also includes rich illustrations and photography that assist with conveying the points raised. A central example being the cover art of a tattered black hood. This imagery alludes to the murder of Trayvon Martin but also allows the reader to reflect on what else they associate this image with. My favourite part of the lyric is the authors use of multiple perspectives. She tells multiple stories through the perspective of Black college students, mothers, fathers, neighbours, and many others. This allows for multiple perspectives to be included and heard. I was able to connect with the text as she included the perspectives who share a similar intersection as me. This being my positionality as a Black woman in North America. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in texts such as Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon. Additionally, I would recommend this text to those who wanted to learn more after watching the documentary The 13th.

-Saron Tecle (PJ151)

One thought on “The Black American Experience as told by Claudia Rankine

1. Thanks, Saron, for your book recommendation. I would like to read. As an immigrant, I would like to connect with the community by reading different perceptions.