The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien tells the story of Bilbo Baggins, a well-respected Hobbit living in the Shire, and his adventure of a lifetime involving the unlikely company of a wizard and thirteen dwarves. Mr. Baggins must say goodbye to the safety of his hobbit hole and join the unlikely company on an adventure to help the dwarves reclaim their home in the Lonely Mountain from Smaug, a ferocious dragon titled “king under the mountain.” Could this unlikely band of heroes be the ones to reclaim what is rightfully theirs and dethrone the king under the mountain?

As with any good fantasy novel, The Hobbit takes the reader on an incredible adventure across a fantasy land like no other. With twists and danger at every turn, many readers will find themselves unable to put this book down. However, beyond adventure, The Hobbit by J.R.R.Tolkien is a story about friendship, home, and the courage to overcome any challenge!

My favourite part about the novel is the character development we see from Bilbo Baggins over the adventure. Mr. Baggins starts as a simple hobbit who enjoys the finer things in life and is proud of how mundane and boring his life is. However, by the end of the adventure we see a new Bilbo Baggins, one who is excited about the unknown and willing to help a friend in need.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves fantasy fiction, adventure, and amazing world-building. Additionally, I would recommend this book to readers aged 10 – 100+, J.R.R. Tolkien does a fantastic job reminding us that you are never too old to enjoy a heart-warming adventure filled novel.

4 thoughts on “The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien

1. Hey Sam! This is definetly one of the greatest books of all time if you ask me. I feel that I have learned a lot of lessons myself, and others can resonate with Bilbo as a character. Bilbo is content living his plain, average, quite boring routinely life in the beginning. But as soon as he takes that risk of joining a group of companions on an adventure, it changes his life forever. Great read!

2. Such a great choice of a book! I love how you touched on not only the story of The Hobbit, but also how you mentioned Bilbo’s character development. Honestly, together with the adventure and fantasy aspect, I really enjoyed seeing Bilbo grow as a character and push himself to step out of his comfort zone in order to truly live.