Momo by Michael Ende

From the author of The Neverending Story, Michael Ende takes us on a fantastical and enchanting journey in Momo! Momo is a quiet girl with no parents or known origins that lives in an abandoned amphitheater. But despite her shabby clothes and appearance, she has a unique and compelling gift: listening. She has an uncanny talent to get people to confide in her, and those around her come to love her for her ability to bring out the best in them. Though she may be lacking in material goods, Momo has a wealth of friends, love, and time. However, everything changes when the Men in Grey appear! As these mysterious men infiltrate the town and slowly steal the time and happiness of the town-goers, it is up to Momo (and a mystical turtle) to confront the dangerous Men in Grey, and save her friends! 

I recall reading this book in my elementary years, and it is still one of my most beloved books to this day. Using the focal theme of time, Michael Ende artfully illustrates a world that is not unlike ours. As the Men in Grey begin to steal the time of the townspeople, the idyllic town proceeds to become corrupted by greed, impatience, and apathy. The Men in Grey’s impact draws parallels to our own industrial lives, often filled with busy schedules and worries.  Through the small but powerful Momo, we are reminded of what is truly important in our lives.

Ultimately, this is a story about the power of friendship (and mystical turtles!). You’ll immediately fall in love with the whimsical and endearing characters, as well as the captivating world that Michael Ende creates. If you’re looking for some fantasy fiction that you can dive straight into, I highly recommend this book!

One thought on “Momo by Michael Ende

1. Momo was by far one of the most iconic books of my childhood. I still vividly remember the Men in Grey stealing time and the turtle Cassiopeia was one of my favourite characters. I remember having to do an art project related to a book and I made a clay sculpture of the turtle. Seeing this book review made me want to read the book again and rediscover it with adult eyes!