Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

‘Because of Winn Dixie’ is written by Kate DiCamillo. The novel is about a heartwarming story of a young girl who meets a stray dog in a grocery store. The young girl’s name is Opal Buloni, her father and her just moved to Naomi. Her father is a preacher at Open Arms Baptist Church of Naomi. Opal and her father move to different cities quiet often. Opal’s mother left Opal and her father when she was a little girl. Opal names her new dog after the grocery store, ‘Winn Dixie’. She takes the dog home to the trailer park to wash him, feed him and go on adventures with him. Opal’s life changes for the better, her new dog Winn Dixie helps her meet new people, get a job and much more.

The novel is about a friendship between a girl and her dog. In my opinion, the novel is heartwarming, and teaches children to be kind and open minded to meeting new people and helping others. Opal’s dog Winn Dixie opens up her world, to all kinds of people. The novel has many life lessons, for instance not judging others by their appearances, responsibilities to others and a pet, being true to yourself and more.

I personally would love to read this novel to my future students. I would recommend this to anyone over 10yrs+.