You Wouldn’t Want to Live Without Clean Water by Roger Canavan

This is a non-fiction book. It answered several questions related to water: 1) where does water come from? How long could you go without water? How does clean water keep you healthy? Can dirty water make you sick? Do animals and plants need clean water? Does it matter how much you use? How far could you carry a bucket of water? How big is your water footprint> How does that water get used? Can you make dirty water clean? Would you go to war over water? Did you leave the water running?

Clean water timeline showed the significant event in the history related with water e.g. 1790 BCE, King Hammurabi of Babylon set out laws that include punishments for stealing water.  1890s Chlorine began to be added to purify water supplies. It is an important way to learn specific facts through the timeline. Students can see and make connections with when it happened and why it happened. Historical perspectives could not only help us to understand the past but also help us to protect the future. It is one of best things as human because we have the abilities to learn and reflect from the past.

If you like fact-related ‘humorous’ books with lots of funny illustration, this series of books are the ones that you would not want to miss.

One thought on “You Wouldn’t Want to Live Without Clean Water by Roger Canavan

1. I have not had an opportunity to read this book before. However I can see how this book would be a great one for cross curricular learning! You could use this book to talk about a number of different themes including environmental education, history, geography, language etc. I especially think I would love this book because of the use of humour.

It would be interesting to talk about the conflicts that water could present, living in Ontario with easy access to fresh water with many lakes and rivers.