The Giver by Lois Lowry

Image result for the giver by lois lowryThe book is set in a futuristic or utopian society where there is limited war, hunger, anger, famine, or any other negative emotions. The society is also largely devoid of choice. Members of the community live by a strict set of rules that dictate almost every part of their lives, including how they ware their hair.

Jonas is the main character of the novel and is an 11/12 year old boy, who we meet right before he is given his assignment, which determines his job within the community. The assignments are handed out by elders and determine your station and career path. Jonas lives with his mother, father, and younger sister Lily, who is 7/8. Jonas is given a prestigious assignment as a receiver of memories. It is in this assignment, wherein Jonas meets the current receiver of memories, an older man that will train Jonas. This man becomes the ‘Giver’ to Jonas, as he begins to transmit memories of the past to Jonas through touch. The memories are from times of war, pain, hunger, despair, but also include times of joy, passion, love, and excitement. Jonas realizes that his world is devoid of colour and passion and he wants his loved one to experience these things as well.

My favourite part of the book is when the false reality is exposed to Jonas. When the wool is finally pulled from the innocent boys eyes. Jonas has the rare opportunity to experience true clarity and look beyond his own circumstances. He is only a child and yet fully understands that without true pain has he ever experiences true joy. How could you understand the death of a loved one if you have never experienced loss? I enjoyed this part of the book because it is relatable to everyone, especially individuals who are now adults. As children, we lived in our own bubble, similar to this society, where we didn’t have to worry about bills, money, and education and beyond those issues we were often sheltered from death, love, or loss. We were fiercely sheltered and protected by our parents. But then something happens, one singular event, or maybe a multiplicity of small situations and suddenly the wool is removed. You can see clearly now yes, but now you see everything, even the things you would rather not. I think we can all relate to Jonas, as we understand the need for polarity in our lives but sometimes wish we could ignore one side, if only for a little while.

If you like dystopian fiction of any sort than you will love this book. It is a staple for any reader who enjoys a novel that questions our societal beliefs and values. It is an great read and the book jumps right into the life of Jonas, who you’ll become connected with immediately. I would also recommend this book to anyone who is looking to expand into fiction. The book provides a relatable fictional setting that readers can easily picture and contextualize.

3 thoughts on “The Giver by Lois Lowry

1. I remember reading this book and it became one of the first ones to foster my love of dystopian fiction, so it definitely holds a special place in my heart! I think the theme of “pulling the wool from someone’s eyes” also applies to our roles as teachers. This book teaches us that the dissemination of sensitive information is a delicate but necessary part of any genuine and loving society. As you pointed out, it shows children can handle a lot more than adults often give them credit for.

2. What I found fascinating about this novel is how deeply related it is to politics. The society that Jonas grows up in sounds extremely similar to a Communist state where social life is highly regulated in the name of “the greater good.” As you point out however, these kinds of societies lack balance and often fail because the people realize that authority figures do not actually have their best interests in mind.

I totally agree with your comments about living in a protective bubble as a child and growing up to realize the harsh reality. Jonas also loses his innocence as he matures and enters adulthood. What is amazing however, is that he has the courage to question a social system that had presumably worked for generations and stand up for the rights of others. I believe “The Giver” is a novel that can be truly enriching for students because it can inspire them to be courageous like Jonas and not only learn to think for themselves, but also act on their convictions.

3. Molly I really enjoyed this book in middle school when I read it. Especially the imagery of a world full of colour vs. one in gray. Your review helped me remember the different aspects of it that I had enjoyed. Thank you.