The Old Man and the Sea- Ernest Hemingway (Bianca Anderson)

The old man and the sea is a tale about a widowed fisherman, by the name of Santiago, who is experiencing a 84 day streak of bad luck, as he is unable to catch a fish. His one and only friendship lies in a young boy by the name of Manolin. Manolin is Santiago’s apprentice and biggest supporter, but with the old fisherman’s stroke of bad luck, his parents forbid him from going out to sea with Santiago any longer. In spite of his parent’s instruction, the young boy continues to help out the unlucky fisherman; he brings in his boat, delivers warm meals, and brings tin coffee to his shack. He even indulges the old man in conversations about baseball. On the 85th day, Santiago sets out to sea, all alone, travelling farther into the Gulf Stream then he ever has before, with the intension of bringing in his biggest catch yet, ending his unlucky streak.

My favorite part of the book was Manolin’s overall interaction with Santiago; he was very kind to him, encouraging at times he needed it the most, and consistently indulged Santiago’s stories, even though he’s heard them all before. Their interaction was very endearing and heart-warming.

Hemingway’s novel is a book for all ages, as it tells a story about pride, determination and honor. I would recommend this book for students in Grade 5 and up for independent reading, and grades 3-4 for read aloud book.

3 thoughts on “The Old Man and the Sea- Ernest Hemingway (Bianca Anderson)

1. I have never heard of this book before but I think I may pick this one up for a read! During such hard circumstances, everyone needs a story like this as it seems it is filled with such positivity and kindness. To teach about determination and encouragement is so crucial at a young age and I think it is not emphasized enough. Thanks for a great synopsis of this story! I will definitely check it out.

2. Hi Bianca,
    I enjoyed reading your blog, I have never had the chance to read this novel but I am going to add it to my book list. It sounds like such a feel good and heart warming story. I love how the story can teach children about the importance of determination and believing in oneself. More importantly, the theme in the story of friendship is very inspiring especially with the age difference between both characters.

3. Hi Bianca,
    The Old Man and the Sea is one of my favourite classic novels. I love the Hemingway’s language, the development of the storyline, and most significantly, the implication of this story. It is definitely a story inspires a lot of young people. When I feel burden and down, I read this book again, and it always reminds me of the old man. Then I can keep going and stay brave and positive. I am so excited you select this novel as read aloud book, and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

Yuanchen