Wonder by R.J Palacio

In the novel Wonder, written by R.J Palacio, a young boy with a genetic facial deformity takes on fifth grade at his first real school after being homeschooled by his mother. Auggie or August, was extremely hesitant to start real school but after taking a tour and meeting a few friends, he grew to be excited for his new adventure. Unfortunately, his facial deformity made him a target to bullying from his fellow classmates, making his experience much less enjoyable. Luckily, he made a few good friends that stuck by him along the way. As the novel progresses, the reader gains insight into all of the emotions Auggie and his family experiences as he navigates his way through this new environment.

This story was both heartwarming and heart-wrenching at the same time. As a reader, you see the story from the point of view of Auggie and this allows us to understand his feelings deeply, through the good and the bad. A facial deformity that is out of his control has left him subject to bullying however, the support from his friends and family left my heart feeling warm and full. It is an eye opening novel as it demonstrates the reality of elementary school relationships, which often involve bullying. For this reason, this is the perfect novel to teaching kids the importance of kindness, empathy and understanding.

4 thoughts on “Wonder by R.J Palacio

1. Hi Alyssa,
    Wonder seems like a great read as it provides opportunities for readers to understand the experiences of others. Books that explore concepts of diversity and challenges are great for the social-emotional development of readers. I will be sure to check this book out!

2. Hello,

Thanks for your recommendation. We were in the literacy circle today, and I choose to read a few chapters of this book. I agree with you that this story is heartwarming, especially when we see it from the view of Auggie! I only read the chapters when he was afraid of going to school and argued with his parent. It is interesting to read and it is actually easier for us to feel the feeling of Auggie in this way. I remember that I was arguing with my mum for not going to school when I was a kid, because I have a test on that day. Obviously, my mum wont agree, but it was hard to make my mum feel how anxious i was about the test. Now, I get it after reading the book. Thanks again!

Nick – JI132

3. Hello,

I remember absolutely loving Wonder when I read it as a kid. The themes this book touches can truly impact the perspectives of anyone, at any age. Whether we are learning about kindness and empathy for the first time, or we just needed a reminder of what it means to have kindness and empathy, this book sets the stage for a perfect lesson on understanding the feelings of others!

Stephanie Cheng JI132

4. Hello,

I have seen this book everywhere; however, I just now had the chance to read it, and I absolutely love the book. The motifs in this book are powerful, and it effectively delivers the book’s message that everyone should practice kindness and not judge an individual by their appearance. In addition, I also love the fact that the book is delivered in a first-person perspective, so we can understand the protagonist’s inner feelings.

Rachel Ng, JI132