Anya’s Ghost (2014)

The book I recommend is Anya’s Ghost by Vera Brosgol, first published in 2014. The graphic novel sits at a Grade 7-9 reading level, but because of the emphasis that Brosgol places on the visual nature of the story students in the younger grades can also enjoy the book.

Anya’s Ghost tells the story of teenager Anya who, one day after school, encounters the ghost of a young girl in the forest. The ghost isn’t scary, however. Instead, Anya and the ghost develop a complicated friendship as Anya navigates the often-scary world of late adolescence, including familiar anxieties around body image, test taking, and just “fitting in.”

Anya’s story centres around her status as a Russian immigrant to the United States, and she frequently feels like an outsider and is embarrassed by her “Russianness.” At one point or another, everyone has felt like an outsider or felt unusual or excluded, and therefore everyone can relate to Anya’s emotions, if not her exact situation. Much of what makes Anya’s Ghost so exceptional is Brosgol’s use of the graphic novel genre; with mellow blues and black ink used throughout, Brosgol visually evokes the dark moodiness of late adolescence.

If you like Anya’s Ghost, I’d recommend looking at other popular graphic novels such as Ghost World and Maus.

Michael Donnelly

4 thoughts on “Anya’s Ghost (2014)

1. Hey Michael,

Amazing book reccomendation! I see how this book could be perfect for students being surrounded nowadays by unrealistic body images in social media. No matter what age you are, we all struggle to fit in sometimes and this seems like a novel that is perfect for those who struggle with this.

Sophia Han JI132

2. Hi Michael, I enjoy the theme’s you describe in this book and I do wish there was a book like this but with a boy as a main character. None the less, this book makes me think of a student in my class who in second week of placement just arrived from Ukraine and couldn’t speak English. I communicated with her as she spoke Russian (I am Polish but many of us were forced to learn Russian anyhow that is for a different time). Point being I instantly related to this book and I am into ghost stories so I think I will give this one a read even though I tend to avoid such books as I am more into science or biographies. Great summary by the way. Thanks

3. Hi Michael,

The plot of the book looks fascinating. I’m curious how the author portrays an “outsider” in a graphic novel using mellow colors. I have read Maus and I like it. I will try to read this book sometime.

Diana Zhang JI152