The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby is a book written by F. Scott Fitzgerald, which is set in the Roaring 20’s, also known as the jazz age. The narrator of the story, Nick Carraway, moves to Long Island and ends up living next door to the mysterious Jay Gatsby, a wealthy man with an extravagant lifestyle who throws fancy parties every weekend. One day, Nick attends one of Gatsby’s famous parties and the two men become friends. A woman named Daisy (Nick’s cousin) ends up having an affair with Gatsby, which causes problems later in the novel with her husband, Tom. A lot of the themes in this book are still applicable today such as the impact of class and injustice in society. It also gives rise to the American dream and what people are willing to do in order to get there. When you analyze this book in depth, you can see how Fitzgerald implemented underlying themes such as greed, betrayal, and the power of love. I would recommend this book in the secondary school level as the depth of the hidden themes can be difficult to understand and it includes a higher level of vocabulary. Overall, I think that this book can teach many important lessons to students. Every time I read this book, I find a new perspective to look at it from or discover a new theme I had not previously noticed. – Niamh McNally (JI 152)