Wonderstruck – Brian Selznick

Wonderstruck (2011) is written and illustrated by Brain Selznick. Selznick also created the popular novel The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which he wrote and illustrated in 2007. Both novels follow a unique narrative approach; using and weaving both words and pictures together to tell the story. 

The book follows two main characters, Ben and Rose. Ben’s story takes place during 1977 in Minnesota and Rose’s story takes place during 1927 in New Jersey. Both characters have suffered immense loss in their lives and wish their lives were different. Ben finds a clue hidden in his mothers stuff that sends him on an adventure to find out more information about his father. Rose runs away to follow an actress in hopes of a better life. This story is beautifully written and illustrated. The story will challenge and surprise you all at the same time.

The ending is by far my favourite part. Although I can’t tell you much more than I have, the ending will leave you shocked and intrigued to know more. The author does an amazing job at wrapping up loose ends and concluding a, at times, confusing storyline. 

I would recommend this book to anyone that loved his first novel. It is just as well done as his first. I would also recommend it to anyone that gets a little tired of reading a ton of words. The contract between one story being told in words and one story being told in pictures really allows your imagination to go wild.

• Shannen Smalley (PJ151)

2 thoughts on “Wonderstruck – Brian Selznick

1. Really great review! I love that you didn’t get the ending away even though it is your favourite part. I also wrote in my review that I recommended novels by Brian Selznick for students who may struggle to stay focused, or complete large chapter books. Wonderstruck is just as good as Brian’s first novel and it can really help readers who are trying to get into reading.

2. I love the structure of your book review. It is well organized and provides enough information to captivate the audience into reading the book.