Wish

The book “Wish” by Barbara O’Connor is a novel that follows the story of an 11-year-old girl named Charlie Reese. Charlie struggles with abandonment issues, as her mother left her and her younger sister, and her father is often absent. Despite these challenges, Charlie maintains a hopeful spirit and believes in the power of wishes.

The narrative takes a turn when Charlie meets a stray dog named Wishbone. As she forms a bond with the dog, she also befriends Howard who is a boy from a wealthy family. The trio embarks on a journey of self-discovery, friendship, and understanding. Through their adventures, Charlie learns about the complexities of family, friendship, and the importance of empathy. The novel is a celebration of the strength that lies within every individual, reminding us that wishes can come true, even in the most challenging circumstances.

What I like about this novel is that it encourages readers to reflect on the significance of hope and the magic that can be found in unexpected situations. Since the main character in this book is 11 years old, I would recommend this book for a grade 5 or 6 class so that students can feel a connection with the main character.

2 thoughts on “Wish

1. Hi,

I found your book review to be very touching and think that it is important to have these books introduced in the classroom. Many of the students that come into the classroom all have their own stories and struggles that they may be going through and reading might be their own escape into another world. As you said this book highlights hope and it is important to remember that even in hard situations we can be hopeful and understand that unexpected things can happen.

Thank you for your review.

2. Hi Gabby,

I loved your book blog – you summarized the text very well. I feel that I have been given a great introduction to the story. From your description, it reminds me of Because of Winn-Dixie and Bridge to Terabithia. I will be adding Wish to my reading list!

-Grace