The Borrowers by Mary Norton

The Borrowers by Mary Norton is the inspiration behind Studio Ghibli’s animated movie The Secret World of Arrietty. This children’s fiction novel explores the story of Borrowers Arrietty, Pod, and Homily, who are tiny people “borrowing” (READ: take) things from the human’s household while living in secrecy within the house’s walls and floors. It’s not an easy life for the Borrowers, who must not be seen by their human neighbours. However, one night while borrowing, Arrietty’s father Pod gets “seen” by a new and unfamiliar boy in the house. But this boy was different; rather than freaking out, the boy helped Pod. Since Pod has now been “seen”, it was a good time for Arrietty to learn the skill of borrowing.

Arrietty was extremely excited for her first borrowing mission after earning her way to help Pod borrowing by being extra helpful and good around the home. She was ready to explore the house, see the blue sky, smell the fresh air, and most of all, learn to borrow. Nothing could go wrong on her first borrowing trip right? Well…that is until she explores outside of the home and gets “seen”.

Being “seen” on Arrietty’s first borrowing trip is probably anything but successful. Anything can happen to her family now. Could they befriend the boy? Could they be forced to flee? Should they lay low and hide? What could happen to other Borrowers in hiding?

I personally liked this book because it gets creative with the idea of missing household items that grew legs and disappear and are taken by tiny neighbours. Throughout reading the novel, I was easily able to make connections to the movie The Secret World of Arrietty. I would recommend this book as an instructional level for Grade 4-6 and an independent level for Grade 7 and up.

3 thoughts on “The Borrowers by Mary Norton

1. I really like your book review, it sounds exciting and makes me want to read the book. I would also love to read the book class for a novel study with students in the future . There is mystery, adventure and thrill in the book as indicated in your book review. The book reminds me of Alice in Wonderland as the fantasy novel seems like the kind to derive the reader from this world into another dimension. It is always a treat to read a book which is able to pull the reader into a world of its own. These fantasy novels usually come with an allegorical theme that deal with historical aspects. Thank you for such a wonderful review and I look forward to reading the book.

2. I thoroughly enjoyed your book review, as I too am now wondering what will happen to Arietty’s family, now that she has been “seen”. This book reminds me of a book series I read when I was in the second grade. This book series is called “The Littles”. In this series, there is a family of tiny human-lookalikes (with tails) about the size of mice, living behind the kitchen socket. They live off the food scraps of humans, and their furniture consists of “borrowed” unused items of the humans (e.g. bottle-caps, matches, tiny boxes, etc.). The Littles and the Borrowers seem to be living a very similar lifestyle. I like how you have not mentioned too much about the plot, yet said enough to get people to want to read it. I also really like how you have included the appropriate grade level for this book. Looking forward to reading this book with my students!

3. Oh my gosh! I loved this book as a kid. I have also recently seen “The Secret Life of Arrietty” and now it makes sense why it seemed so familiar. Great to see this book again 🙂