The Day the Crayons Quit

Drew Daywalt’s The Day the Crayons Quit is a captivating book that will have children using their imagination. While a young boy named Duncan loves to colour, the crayons he uses are not happy. Yes… the crayons he uses can talk and they sure have lots to say! When Duncan goes to colour, he does not find any crayons in his crayon box but rather written letters saying, “we quit”. Each crayon has something they are unhappy about to tell Duncan and so, they write letters to him expressing their concerns. While Blue crayon wants a break from always colouring oceans and raindrops, Red crayon complains he is overworked from colouring firetrucks and apples. The crayons are not afraid to share their opinions, as they expressively tell Duncan how they’ve been feeling.

Now…it’s up to Duncan to figure out how he can help his crayons, so that he can colour again! The book takes you through the crayon’s letters to Duncan, giving the reader time to sympathize with the crayons, while appreciating the importance of perspective taking and point of view.

I recommend this book because it is funny to read but also teaches children about a sense of belonging and how everyone has an important role to play. I enjoy this book because it offers a sense of perspective. The book is centered around the concept of “walking in someone else’s shoes”, a theme that is not commonly presented in children’s books. Drew Daywalt has also written a few other crayon books, including The Day the Crayons Came Home, another hilarious book with crayons but this time his crayons need to be rescued. I have read these books with kindergartens to grade 3 students and it never fails to make them laugh!

2 thoughts on “The Day the Crayons Quit

1. Hello,

The tonality used to describe this children’s literature enhances why I should read the novel. I can truly feel the emotions of each crayon, which, according to the review, is how readers are suggested to react. Thank you for informing us that the novel is perfect for a kindergarten class (and even me) since humor is used to address topics that can benefit children socially and emotionally.

Thanks !

2. Hi,

I really enjoyed reading your book review on “The Day the Crayons Quit”, this seems like an awesome picture book to use with the younger grades to get them thinking about important concepts such as empathy, creativity, sympathy and that not everything always has to be the way we see it. It helps children understand that the ocean doesn’t always have to be blue and that it could also be anything they want it to be. This sounds like a great resource to use in the classroom.

Thank you.